Few things ignite me:
1) Jesus Christ and the Bible. I am absolutely fascinated by the complexity and intricacies of the Bible (the most amazing story and book ever written), understanding it as a cross-cultural experience of which, both Old and New Testament, is vitally relevant to our lives today. Admittingly, I geek-out on learning about the original text of the Scriptures, the Hebrew and Greek that it was written in, to better understand it in the context of which it was written. I am in awe of how it all points to God restoring humanity to Himself through Jesus by the Holy Spirit, the Good News of which we are all in desperate need of. He is my Anchor. He is my Peace. He alone is worthy of full surrender to transform our hearts and lives.
2) Nutrition (let’s be honest.. food) and wellness. As a nutrition expert, the deeper I have come to understand the body, nutrition, research, etc., the more I have seen that what we are discovering confirms the truth of the Scriptures. He has so intricately knit us together and the more I discover the complexities of the body and how everything is connected, the more I am overwhelmed by His power and majesty.
It has been quite the journey of exploring how these two are interwoven:
- what it means for my relationship with God to influence my physical health and lifestyle choices, and how those impact the Kingdom
- how to use this passion and love for nutrition and wellness God has given me in order build the Kingdom
I have experienced in my own life what it means to have years where I was rather ineffective for the Kingdom because of my own lifestyle decisions. Even as a Christian, I was following the wishy-washy ways of world and what the culture said was best in terms of health, eating, and exercise, and as a result became very unhealthy. But just as God does, when I truly embodied what it meant to fully surrender to Him in every area of my life, He has been faithful to bring life and order out of disorder and chaos.
Through it all, He has poured into me a passion to wake up the Church, stirring the Body to recognize the need for being physically well because the Church is not a building, it is you and me. My hope is to challenge you with the truth, immersed in love, that we cannot continue to set aside our health and expect true flourishing of His Kingdom as we are empowered by the Holy Spirit to permeate a broken world. We are called to a higher standard; to be deliberate with our choices and live intentionally with His resources given to us. Brothers and sisters, it is my prayer to see you walking in the incredible plans of the Creator to fulfill the very purpose in which He created you — to be His representative — honoring what it means to be the image of God, the temple of the Holy Spirit, and a steward of His creation.
AND THAT GETS US TO APPLICATION…
All facets of wellness should be simple, getting back to the basics in order to thrive and live an abundant life. I believe in food as medicine, and that the best form of this medicine is daily consumption of a variety and abundance of tastes, colors, and textures of organic plants. I absolutely love showcasing the rainbow of life-building foods that help the body heal and function optimally in ways that are incredibly delicious and satisfying through recipes that don’t involve measurements. It’s about getting back to God’s ways and original design – the foods He created for us, the way or as close to the way He created them as possible – which goes back to Genesis 1:29.
Beyond food, the choices we make over what we put in, on, and around our bodies have a powerful impact on not only ourselves as individuals, but others and the earth. The further we get from God’s original design, the further our bodies get from being able to function as He designed. Scripture says a lot about our bodies and I hope you discover the heart of God through this site.
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
- Bachelor of Science in Nutrition from Northwest Nazarene University
- Masters of Science in Nutrition for Wellness from Bastyr University
- Certified Exercise Physiologist from ACSM
- Certified Health Coach from American Council on Exercise
- LEAP (Lifestyle Eating and Performance) therapist
- American College of Nutrition
Get my 3-day devo Connecting Nutrition & Wellness to Faith